Saturday, May 3, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday, Lily!

It's hard to believe that today is my granddaughter Lily's first birthday. It seems like only a few months since the day she was born.

I was on my way to the airport that day to go to Salt Lake City for Spring Quilt Market when I got a call from my daughter, Katie, who was at a check-up with her doctor. She told me that they were going to keep her for awhile to do some tests but that everything was fine and that I should go ahead and fly out. After all, Lily wasn't due until June 2nd and Katie and Toby had just gone to their first childbirth class the night before. But I just knew I shouldn't have gotten on that plane.

When it touched down in SLC, I had a message on my phone that I was going to become a grandfather that day. I couldn't get off the plane fast enough to find another flight back home. Nothing was going to keep me from being there! I had to wait for my luggage to arrive and take all of my pattern samples to the convention center for the sales reps first and, even though it was a little over an hour's drive there and back to the airport by taxi (in pouring rain, no less), I was on a plane bound for home within 2½ hours of landing. I made it to the hospital with plenty of time to spare and Lily came into the world at 10:15 that night. And my world hasn't been the same since!

It was a great birthday party at her house this afternoon and she got her first taste (and then some) of birthday cake. Take a look at the photos here and you'll see why I won't be volunteering to change any diapers for a few days! What a wonderful day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment